What is Microsoft Account?
Microsoft Account is the single sign-in account service by Microsoft Inc. to allow its user to use a single account to access all of its services such as Outlook.com, OneDrive, X-Box Live, Office 360, Skype, Bing, Store, MSN and can be used as a Windows account as well. Google account user and Apple ID users can also create Microsoft account using their existing email. Microsoft launched this service in 2012 renaming Windows Live ID to Microsoft Account.
Microsoft Account creates a common profile for each of its services and sync every information and credential from syncing all the contact list from Skype to achievements and score detail from X-Box live game.
How to Create New Microsoft Account?
There are many ways to register Microsoft account. You can use your web browser, mobile, or your PC settings to open Microsoft account.
Microsoft Account Sign Up using a web-browser
You can use a web browser from desktop/laptop, tablet or mobile phone to register for Microsoft account.
Step 1: Open Microsoft account creation page from a browser of your choice. You can use Chrome, Firefox, Edge, Safari or any other browser for this purpose. You can also create it from Microsoft login page. Just click on No account? Create one!
You can create Microsoft account using a phone number, existing email or by making new email altogether.
- Microsoft Account Using existing email: If you use Gmail, Yahoo Mail or another email service then you can create Microsoft account using the same email address. To use your own email, choose the option Use your email instead.
- Open Microsoft account from phone number: To sign up using mobile number, select Use a phone number instead.
- Create new Microsoft email: You can create new Microsoft email address. Your new email will end with @hotmail.com or @outlook.com. Microsoft used to provide different domains to choose from but now @live.com, @msn.com etc subdomain are not available.
Step 2: Enter the new Microsoft email you want to create. You can choose it to be outlook.com or hotmail.com from the drop down menu in the email field. There is literally no difference between Hotmail and Outlook.com except the name. So select according to your preference.
If the username you desire is already taken, don’t get disappointed, there are many other cool usernames are available.
Step 3: Create a new password for your Microsoft account. Your new password must have at least eight characters, and contain at least the two of the following:
- Uppercase letters
- Lowercase letters
Which mean you can’t use all uppercase, lowercase or number only password. Your password is the key your account security. So make it unique and long. If remembering passwords is not your thing, you can use password managers like LastPass or 1Password.
Step 4: You need to provide some of your personal details. You need to give your first and last name, country/region, and date of birth. This process is different for the different country. In some countries, you don’t need to provide such information while signing up.
Step 5: Sometimes you can create Microsoft account without phone number. You need to enter Captcha code and hit ‘Next’. If captcha code is too hard to understand, click New, it will give you another code. Select Audio option if you still can’t see captcha code clearly. These code are not case sensitive. Microsoft may ask you to verify your phone number. If asked enter your mobile number and verify it.
Now you’ve got a new Microsoft email account. You can change personal details, change the password and add payment method from account setting page. You can also add a new profile picture to your new account.
Create Microsoft Account from Windows 10 Settings App
- Go to Windows 10 Settings, Press Windows+I or go through the start menu or Cortana.
- Select Accounts
- Open Email & app accounts option at the left bar.
- Click on Add a Microsoft account.
- Select No account? Create one.
Note: If you have previously logged into X-box live or Hotmail accounts, you have already registered your Microsoft account, type your Microsoft account in the red text box and click Next to login to your Microsoft account.
- Type your existing email address, which can be Gmail, Yahoo Mail, AOL, etc. You can also create new outlook email by clicking on Get a new email address.
- Type your password for new Microsoft account. Choose your password wisely, harder for others to guess. Character, numbers, and uppercase & lowercase letters can be used for creating a strong password.
- Choose your region/Country and Click Next.
- Your account is now created and ready for use as windows password, Click Ok. Verify your email account with a pin.
What can you access by Microsoft account signup?
Making a new Microsoft account gives access to wide range of services provided by Microsoft Inc. A Microsoft account helps you to get things done, have fun with games, keeps people in touch. You can even earn rewards for shopping and searching with Microsoft.
- Outlook: Specially used as an email application, Microsoft Outlook is a personal information manager which includes the task manager, calendar, contact manager, journal, note taking, and web browsing. Making Microsoft account, one can easily organize the personal information and create secure communication platform.
- Skype: Popular telecommunication application, specialized for video/voice calls over the internet or also in offline mode using some Skype credit. Using Microsoft account one can use Contact detail of friends and family or other people across the Microsoft applications.
- Office: Microsoft Office is the package of office suite application software that contains word processing, spreadsheet processing, presentation program, database management system, desktop publishing and so on. Using Microsoft account while accessing Office allows users to get online help and back up different documents/files directly to the OneDrive.
- OneDrive: Previously known as SkyDrive, OneDrive is a file hosting service or popularly known as cloud storage. Using Microsoft account one can securely store important document and media files to the cloud and access easily from any corner of the world.
- X-Box Live: X-box live is the multiplayer gaming platform created by Microsoft Inc. Using Microsoft account, you can access the wide range of games and play with other friends and people together. It will also save your achievements and scores.
- Bing: Bing is a web search engine similar to google search. Using Microsoft account, Bing automatically personalizes your interest and search contents based on your interest.
- Windows Store: Microsoft Store recently renamed from Windows Store is the digital store for windows apps, music, games, movies and other many media. Using Microsoft account one can purchase exclusive apps and media from the store. It also allows the user to use the same apps on the different platform such as PC, Tablets, Smart Phones, X-Box console and other Microsoft’s devices.
- MSN: MSN is the web portal created by Microsoft, and collection of internet services and application for windows based devices. MSN organizes news, sports, weather, exchange rates and other informational content according to the information accessed from Microsoft account.
- Windows: Microsoft account is used for protecting unauthorized access to windows device and keep the devices up-to-date, alternative to the local account. Using Microsoft account allows the user to remotely lock/unlock or protect connected devices.